There are crucial rules that a person should abide by to respect the blunt smoking experience.
1. The person who rolls the blunt should be the one who lights it. This is simply out of respect considering it takes a few minutes to roll.
2. Pass left. This comes from a Rastafari tradition where Rastafarians would pass their marijuana left in times of peace and right in times of disturbance and war.
3. If a blunt comes to you that you did not plan to smoke, ask if you can smoke, if the person says yes do not exceed more than 2 puffs a time.
4. Normally people take 2 hits of the blunt and pass it; commonly referred to as “puff puff pass”. However, if there is a good amount of product in the blunt or you want to chief simply ask everyone. When there are only 2 people on a blunt or multiple blunts in rotation it is ok to take multiple hits.
5. If the blunt starts to “run” or “canoe”, don’t just keep smoking it. Fix it!
6. Be wary of ash. Nobody likes ash falling on them so keep your blunt clean and ash it frequently.
7. Try to avoid excessive moisture and keep the blunt nice and dry.
8. Never put down the blunt until it is done.
9. Do not allow the blunt to go out. This could result from letting it rest without taking a hit.
10. Ask everyone smoking if they want the roach before disposing of it. Some like to chief on the roach or have other plans in mind for its disposal.
11. If you are being “smoked up”, which means someone is offering you a smoke without asking for money in return, it is only right to smoke that person up in the future. After all marijuana does cost money.
12. It is impolite to leave immediately after being smoked up.
13. It is ok to smoke people up on a blunt just out of compassion, being stingy was never a huge part of marijuana culture.
14. Always return the lighter back to its owner.
15. Lastly, maintain a calm and chill atmosphere. You want to enjoy this experience with those sharing it with you
Cheers and happy smoking,
The Weed Street Journal Team